Re: Making ISO images from CD-ROMs

On Fri, 9 May 2003 09:23, Radek Zajkowski wrote:
> Hello Earth Creatures,
>
> What do I use to make an Iso image from a CD-ROM (copy to image) on Debian
> in console mode.
>
> Thnaks in advance.

See
 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tune.en.html#s9.3.7

There may be problems using both cat ( cat /dev/scd0 > your.iso ) or
dd ( dd if=/dev/scd0 of=your.iso ) caused by input/output errors.
For my hardware in particular cat always fails and dd fails almost always.

There certainly will be problems caused by copying up trailing sectors of
nulls following the iso image on the cd. That means that your iso image will
generate a different md5sum than the original so you have no way of
confirming the accuracy of what you have, either on the hard drive or on any
cdrs that you burn using the iso.

The link I refer to above gives an example of using readcd in interactive
mode, ie 'reacdcd dev=1,0,0' and select function No 11 when asked.

You can also use it in direct mode eg
	'readcd dev=1,0,0 f=your.iso sectors=0-NUM
where the 1,0,0 above is your reader device as obtained from
	'cdrecord -scanbus'
and the NUM is the number of sectors you calculated from the blocks reported
by 'df'.

HTH
Bob Parker