Can't Make DSL Connection

I have put together a very basic Woody box with two nic's to become a masquerading firewall between the DSL modem and out home network. (Currently the computers in the home network are connected through a Linksys router to the DSL modem.) When I attach the modem to the firewall box, run pppoeconf and try to bring the connection up there is a long pause and then repeated messages ppp0: error fetching interface information. Device not found.

Syslog contains the following:

   modprobe: Can't locate module ppp0
   Serial connection established
    using channel 12
   Using interface ppp0
   Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyp0
   PADS Service-Name; ''
   ppp session is 24308
   sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x0 magic ...]
sent [PAP AuthReq id=0xb user="username" password=<hidden>] Note: Used ISP assigned username . . Note: Repeated 11 times
   .
   No response to PAP authenticate-requests

There is no module ppp0 - I have poured over kernel options in /usr/src/linux/ make menuconfig and am unable to find anything which I have omitted which looks likely to create such a module (the kernel I have compiled is 2.4.18). Likewise, there is no /dev/ttyp0.

Could someone please point out where I have messed up this time?

Tom George