Re: Maxtor ATA100 Card

On Friday 09 May 2003 04:14 am, Chris Metzler wrote:
> Alvin Oga <aoga@Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com> wrote:
> > sometimes, older bios does not like it if you are
> > booting/installing onto hdf/hdg/hdh/hdi
>
> Just as a sidenote, I ran into this problem at one point; I
> solved it by installing grub into the MBR of a disk on the
> first IDE channel; I had grub then point to a kernel on
> /dev/hde.

I have an Asus motherboard with both a VIA and Promise
controller on the motherboard.  I set the boot rom to boot from
the Promise, but it still shows as /dev/hde.  Grub considers it
to be hd0.

Here's an excerpt from my menu.lst...

title debian-sid
kernel (hd0,1)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hde2 .....

In a traditional installation, Grub's hd0 is /dev/hda.  But
here, hd0 is /dev/hde .  Note how the file mixes them.