Re: Exim creates a zombie

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 11:30:12AM +0200, Hans Wilmer wrote:
> Jens Kubieziel wrote:
> >kubi@QBI050102:~$ sudo ls -la /usr/sbin/sendmail
> >lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            4 2003-04-06 20:44
> >/usr/sbin/sendmail -> exim
>
> But exim usually runs as exim, not as sendmail.

kubi@QBI050102:~$ ps ax | grep Z
  318 ?        Z      0:00 [sendmail] <defunct>
kubi@QBI050102:~$ ps ax | grep sendmail
  318 ?        Z      0:00 [sendmail] <defunct>
kubi@QBI050102:~$ ps ax | grep exim
  245 ?        S      0:00 /usr/lib/exim/exim3 -bd -q30m

> Hm, I would try to rename the link and then to recreate the zombie
> process.  At some point, I´d expect to get some error message that
> sendmail cannot be found or something like that. This might lead you to
> the place where the sendmail processes are created and thereby to where
> the zombies come from.

Believe me or not, exim was running before my changes without creating
zombie processes. Now, after that changes (main config settings in my OP)
I have exactly one zombie, from the first time exim was started.

So IMHO it doesn't depend from links. The fault must be found in
exim.conf. But I have no glue were.
--
Jens Kubieziel                                   http://www.kubieziel.de
Washington [D.C.] is a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm.