Re: Redhat vs Debian Driver Trouble

Larry <doccpu@yahoo.com> writes:

> We have a Condor companies I/O card for a PC running
> Debian.  The company (we thought) supports the 2.418
> kernel.  However, we find that their software
> apparently is only compatible with the Redhat 2.418
> kernel, giving 3 undefined sysbols when installing in
> the Debian 2.418 kernel.
>
> I was under the impression that driver/kernel-wise, if
> I had the right kernel version I was in business.
>

> Any suggestions?  I know one obvious one is to switch
> to Redhat -- but I hate letting one card force me to
> do that.  There are other reasons I wish to stay with
> Debian.

It may be that certain options are not enabled in the Debian kernel
that are required by the driver. This may be because Debian doesn't
choose those options when compilling the kernel. Or it may be because
RedHat applies patches.

In either case you can either compille a kernel with the required
options or simply take a kernel from RedHat and drop it into your
Debian system.

Bijan