From: Colin Watson [mailto:cjwatson@debian.org]
Sent: 01 May 2003 21:46
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: modversions.h

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 02:21:43PM -0400, Kevin McKinley wrote:
> On Thu, 1 May 2003 10:48:49 -0400
> "drew cohan" <debian@drewcohan.com> wrote:
> > I believe modversions.h is in the kernel headers not source, so
> > "apt-get install kernel-headers-(mykernel-version-here)" should do
> > the trick.
>
> Good grief.
>
> Kernel headers are part of the source.
>
> modversions.h is indeed in the source tree.

Only if you enable CONFIG_MODVERSIONS and 'make dep' first. Drew is quite
correct that modversions.h is not in the kernel-source packages.

  [cjwatson@arborlon /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.20]$ tar tjvf
../kernel-source-2.4.20.tar.bz2 | grep modversions
  [cjwatson@arborlon /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.20]$

Search for 'update-modverfile' in Rules.make to find the script that builds
that file.