Re: My file upload cgi ...

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 11:04:19PM -0600, Francisco Castellon wrote:

[ top post un-top-posted ...  consider http://flash.to/outlook-quotefix/ ]

> [...]

Well, it's not even close to DFSG free.

* Clause 1 of the license restricts you to use one copy of the
software (though I'm still not sure exactly what they mean here.  Oh
well).  This seems to be a use restriction.

* Clauses 2 and 3 restrict redistribution.  See DFSG 1. [1]

* It seems silly to go on, but clause 3 also clearly violates DFSG 2.

In short, this is a Microsoftian license; the software doesn't
"belong" to you, "they" own it and can tell you what you can and
cannot do.  Not my idea of usable software.  Why place yourself at the
mercy of someone diabolical enough to write (and use) such a license?

[1] http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

  Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me
  and I'll understand.
          -- Chinese Proverb