Missing textures(?) with ati drm

Hi,

I have an "ATI Rage 128 Pro" video card, running Xfree 4.2 (backport)
on woody. DRM and xlibmesa work fine, but sometimes there are
missing details (are these called textures?) when drm is activated
in contrast to the situation where drm is deactivated, namely

* plain white tux in tuxracer
* no speedometer in torcs
* no sunspots in celestia

Has anyone experienced similiar effects? Is this inevitable (use
a better graphic card) or can it be fixed? I remember that sometimes
in the past (was it Xfree 4.1?) tux had a black tailcoat and yellow
feet in tuxracer. I am currently using kernel modules and ati.2
xfree drivers from gatos.org.

Thanks for any hint
Cheers, Thomas