Re: Can I mount FreeBSD partitions?

On Sun, 2003-05-04 at 21:15, stan wrote:
> I'm seting up a dual boot Debian tetsting FreeBSD STABLE laptop. Ive got
> the FreeBSD side mounting the Debian partitions. Can I mount the FreeBSD
> partitons from the Linx side of the house?
>
> --
> "They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve
> neither liberty nor safety."
> 						-- Benjamin Franklin

This requires some support in the kernel, which I'm not sure is enabled
by default. The relevant options I have are:

CONFIG_BSD_DISKLABEL=y
CONFIG_UFS_FS=m

The first gives support for BSD partitions (or rather, the BSD disklabel
within a PC partition)

$ dmesg | grep bsd
 hda3: <bsd: hda7 hda8 hda9 hda10 hda11 >

And the second, the filesystem:

$ locate ufs.o | grep `uname -r`
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/fs/ufs/ufs.o

If these are available, in /etc/fstab I have:

$ grep freebsd /etc/fstab
/dev/hda7  /mnt/freebsd      ufs  ro,ufstype=44bsd   0  0
/dev/hda9  /mnt/freebsd/var  ufs  ro,ufstype=44bsd   0  0
/dev/hda10 /mnt/freebsd/tmp  ufs  ro,ufstype=44bsd   0  0
/dev/hda11 /mnt/freebsd/usr  ufs  ro,ufstype=44bsd   0  0

Which makes everything work - albiet read-only: UFS write is marked as
experimental, and I'm rather attached to my data.

Good luck, Shaun.