Re: music can't play smoothly with xmms

    "Zeng Nan" == jqdkf  <jqdkf@zju.edu.cn> writes:

    Zeng Nan> Hi, When there is a file transfer with the speed of more
    Zeng Nan> than 400k/s on my machine, like ftp download or upload,
    Zeng Nan> the music I play with xmms will flicker irregularly. My
    Zeng Nan> system is woody 3.0r1 with P4 2.4G, 512M DDR, ASUS P4PE,
    Zeng Nan> and I use alsa driver for my integrated sound card.

    Zeng Nan> What may be the problem? How can I solve it?

My first guess is you did not enable DMA on your drive. You can check
this with hdparm. For example, if your drive is /dev/hda then type
'hdparm /dev/hda' and see if you get a line saying 'using_dma    =  1
(on)'. If you see it off, turn it on with 'hdparm -d1 /dev/hda' and
see if the problem goes away.

If the DMA setting does fix your problem you need to turn it on during
boot up. The simples way might be to install the hwtools package
(apt-get install hwtools) and then edit the file
/etc/init.d/hwtools. You will see where to uncomment/add the hdparm
commands easily.

    Zeng Nan> Simple is Beautiful.

No doubt about that.

Cheers!