Re: Can anyone recommend ...

Mark Janssen wrote:

On Sun, 2003-05-04 at 16:00, Dave Selby wrote:
I have written my web site, full off GIFs because I need transparencys + broad browser support, I know its illegal to put it on the web since it a commercial site so I need some pukka GIF software to load and re-compress my images and make them legal .. a pain or what ! ....

I think Namo web editor would do the job, £65 and I am prepared to buy it ... but its windows ....
Apparently they are porting it to linux but no idea when ...

Can anyone recommed any Linux software which is GIF "certified" I realise I will have to pay for it !

Not that I know of... but you could try the windows software under wine.

I see a few possible solutions.

a) Use PNG's... all 'current' browsers support them, and the browsers
that don't can get plugins (quicktime plugin does png too)
b) Use uncompressed gifs where you need transparency if you MUST use
gifs
c) Host your gifs outside the US :) (In a country where the patent is
not valid / not applied for / expired)
d) Don't give a damn... unless your site is really big (amazon / yahoo
etc) you probably won't be bothered, and if you are, you can always
change the images to jpg or png then.

Patents like these are really stupid... luckely it doesn't bother me ;)

I didn't know quicktime does PNG also, In terms of site size, not exactly as big as amazon or Yahoo ! Many thanks for the comments, the way this is going don't give a damn seems appealing ;-)

Dave