[OT] Compiling with wxWindows

I have recently (actually, today) embarked on learning wxWindows so as to be
able to properly develop cross-platform apps.  Mostly because I am now a
diehard Linux user (zealot even) and most of my professors only hear the drone
of the Microsoft marketing machine.  But, I digress.

I was having a heck of a time because nothing would compile.  I finally decided
to go the website and read a tutorial.  Anyhow, this is the command that I need
to execute to compile my Hello World! program:

g++ -g hworld.cpp `wx-config --libs` `wx-config --cxxflags` -o hworld

I have been using gcc/g++ for a few months now, but for the life of me I can't
figure out what `wx-config --libs` means and what `wx-config --cxxflags` means.
 I tried substituting -lwx-config for the first one, but that doesn't work.

I am just interested in finding out what those two items represent.  I know it
works, becuase I did an apt-get on the wxWindows packages and hworld compiles
and runs fine.  Any enlightenment would be much appreciated.

-Roberto Sanchez

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS
http://messenger.yahoo.es