Re: Iptables logging to console-- help! [RANT WARNING]

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 03:02:13PM -0400, Soren Andersen wrote:

> What would have made sense to me is to have netfilter come with
> documentation that makes it hard to miss the news about how to send
> the LOG chatter away from the console. And to offer to modify the
> right file so that this happens at install / configuration time.
> Instead, the default is that appropriate to a hyper-knowledgeable
> career sysadmin -- and I get it, many users here and everywhere, of
> Debian, ARE sysadmins overseeing systems serving 10s or 100s of users
> -- and this default is to leave netfilter in "show me everything" mode
> with the presumption that the admin will already know how to turn that
> off when s/he's finished testing the setup.

Well, if you feel the installation should do something it's not, file a
bug report.

> These kinds of presumptions and defaults are found in myriad software
> packaged for Debian. It's just that sometimes I install a package and
> see that "this g(uy|al) did it just right". There's a sensitivity to
> what defaults will make sense to average users that some packages (and
> their packagers)  _have_, and some lack. Seeing it done well and
> thoughtfully, with extra care to polishing the piece, makes me notice
> the lack in all the others.

The polish is gained, in at least some cases, through user feedback and
the filing of bug reports.

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar