Re: pppd and ttyS mode mystery [SOLVED?]

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 04:08:00PM -0400, Soren Andersen wrote:

> Pertaining to using ppp to dialup my ISP. I could always dial out as a
> normal (non-root) user, i.e. I was allowed to use the modem.
> Not anymore, not for a couple of weeks or so. I believe that probably I
> got an update from security.debian.org and ran it mindlessly.

> Now, when I try to dial out as myself, I always get the error
> "/dev/modem: permission denied". So, OK, no-brainer, change the
> permissions on (the serial port device that /dev/modem actually points
> to), right? No. Because SOMETHING keeps changing it back on me
> (gggrrrrrrr).

This problem seems to have reponded to a "brute-persistence" approach. I
kept on (as su) changing the perms on the device file until they
"stuck". I haven't had it switch back for several cycles of dialouts
now, so maybe it has gone away.

I'd apologize, but most problems don't respond to a brute-persistence
approach (I spent 3 hours repeatedly trying to transfer a 36MB file via
ftp from my desktop to my laptop the other night ... same commands,
typed over and over again... it was the NICs not playing nicely
together, btw).

Anyway, Rosanne Rosanna-Danna voice: "never mind".

--
GnuPG public key fingerprint:  BD26 A5D8 D781 C96B 9936  310F 0573 A3D9 4E24 4EA6