Re: Open File Limit

Matthew Walkup said:
> Sorry for the cross-post, but I wasn't sure what audience should get this.
>
> So my questions are:
> 1) How do I fix this situation :).

use a log analysis package that doesn't go haywire is the best bet.

read this it may help explain how to adjust the settings on the fly:

http://lists.plug.phoenix.az.us/pipermail/plug-discuss/2000-September/005508.html

use /etc/sysctl.conf to make the changes permanent

> 2) Is there a way to see what the current number of real open files are?

see above url

> Which is a little odd, because the limit used to be 1024 and we didn't
> have problems during the day.  So this is probably an incorrect.

on one of my systems here the number of open files is set to 32768,
I didn't set it myself so it must be a default somewhere(2.2.19 kernel)

nate