Re: Is this why you shouldn't log in as root?

On Thu, 2003-05-01 at 11:45, Kevin McKinley wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 19:48:12 -0400
> alex <radsky@ncia.net> wrote:
>
> > > Personally, I have a trick to make sure that I can identify anything I
> > > run that has been spawned as root rather than as me - the Xresources,
> > > KDE interface, and Gnome settings for root are all set to have garishly
> > > obvious colours, so that I know that mistakes with those programs could
> > > be toxic.
> >

> > Somewhat outside the thread but this sounds like a good idea....could
> > you describe this 'trick' please?
>
> Log in as root. startx (if you're not already there). Set the desktop to
> solid bright red.
>
> Open a terminal window. Set the colors for the terminal window to something
> very different from your normal colors. My normal xterm is black on light
> yellow, so for me "very different" might be the default grey on black.
>
> The color scheme is a reminder that I'm running X as root.
>
> Kevin

Yes, and in addition, when you run something as root from within a
regular session (via sudo, or something similiar,) for non-QT/non-GTK
applications, the Xresources from root should be drawn upon, also making
them stand out.

My favourite trick is using the Gnome Modern theme - looks like Mozilla
default, but even less legible. The effort to read the application
ensures that I don't do anything stupid too quickly - I can do stupid
things still, but not so fast so that likely I can exhaust the brain
fart before disaster is total. ;)
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org