rescue a partition...ok, im freakin out a little

Ok, I was trying to format some of the unused disk space on my /dev/hdd
drive.  and it did not seem to work, so I got worried that I did
something wrong.  I then went back to my console and navigated to my
/mnt/hdd1 and it seemed fine.  So, I rebooted because I could not figure
out how to do it and was going to head into my windows partition and
just format it there.  but I noticed that it told me that I had 70
something unused mb, thats not good, I should have had a vfat parition
on there.  So I booted back to linux and found that I in fact screwed
something up dearly.  Now, knowing that there was no massive disk write
I am sure that this can be fixed, or at least I sure hope, but I am
extremely nervous because I have no idea how to fix it.  Thanks, and I
reallllly look forward to your replies

Thank You,
Jason Self