Re: Sound card recommendations for basic music composition?

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 17:15:10 -0400
Chris Metzler <cmetzler@speakeasy.net> wrote:

> For instance, I've noticed a lot of people here suggest the Soundblaster
> Live! set of cards; but both the OSS and ALSA hardware support pages seem
> to say that the EMU10k1 wavetable synth on the card isn't supported yet
> under either set of drivers.  I know (I think) that that's the purpose
> of tiMIDIty -- to provide a software solution by faking the wavetable
> synth -- but I've read online that it's very limited (in instruments,
> sound quality, etc.).

Your information seems a little dated.

I use the soundblaster live. ALSA does support the wavetable synth!! I
use it all the time with "noteedit". Use the sfxload utility to load the
soundfont that comes with the card. My midi keyboard also works :)
RoseGarden works but I seldom use it.

Timidity isn't limited at all -- look on the net for better timidity patches
eg. eawpats. They can be quite large 24 - 36 megs but give even better sound than the
8 meg soundfont that comes with the card. To run timidity as a synth I use
"timidity -Os -iA -B8,8 &" which works great on my pIII 450 with noteedit.

I don't know if other cards are better, but the soundblaster live is capable
of doing what you want.

Hope this helps
R.J. Pluschke