Re: mail filter before download?

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 12:38:59PM +0200, Joerg Johannes wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> I know there is spamassassin, procmail, etc. All those filters work only on
> already downloaded mail. As I have a dialup connection, I would like to
> filter spam mails out before I download them (saves me time = money). Is
> there a way to do this on a POP or IMAP connection? Any hints welcome.
> (I have already tried popcheck, but I have to do "manual" filtering with this
> one, automated would be better.)

Unless you have a high degree of control over the mail server, this is
going to be a hard ask.  Presuming you are using an ISP, you are at the
mercy of whatever spam filtering they offer.  But if you're willing to
take the risk of never seeing the false positives, then it might be
doable.  Personally, I don't like the idea that I could miss an
important email due to a filter malfunction, hence I use client side
Bayesian filtering.

- Chris