Re: Root can't run X programs

Vineet Kumar wrote:

Debian's default X config is protecting you from yourself.  There are
many, many better ways of redisplaying local apps.

The problem isn't a lack of understand what options are available to me to securely run X apps as root, it's a problem of knowing how Debian is configured to work out of the box. I just wanted to know where the configuration snag was that prevented me from doing what I was trying to do.

I think you're being a bit over-zealous about the security aspects here. *Most* people are going to be doing these things behind a firewall, as I am. Unless there are some really crazy firewall admins out there who are forwarding connections on port 6000, then you only need fear internal "crackers." And, as I've always said, if you fear the people you share a collision domain with, you've got bigger problems than computer hacking.

Still better, in this case, would be to not run this application as
root.  I take it this 'eroaster' is a cd mastering/burning application?
Add your user account to the appropriate group and you'll get full
access to the cdrw drive without being root (i.e. having full access to
(potentially destroy) everything).

Well, eroaster was throwing me for a loop with a strange error message. Going to root is a quick and easy way to -- yes, potentially mess up your system -- but find out if the problem is indeed a permissions problem, and then *know* if I should be fooling around with groups to fix the problem, or look somewhere else.

Thanks,
dk