Re: Root can't run X programs

In article <20030428221012$3581@gated-at.bofh.it>, David Krider wrote:

> kriderde@tyrannus:~$ xhost +
> access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
>

> I still get this:
>

> tyrannus:~# export DISPLAY=localhost:0
> tyrannus:~# eroaster
> 28.04.2003 16:48:16.745 ERROR main [Main] An error occured: cannot open
> display
>
> Can anyone tell me why?

For one thing, you shouldn't generally run X as root. I think there is
probably a way to set X up so that you can do this, but it's probably
better to set permissions on the devices so that you can run this
program as a regular user.

Does it work if you do:

% ssh -X root@localhost
[password]
# eroaster &

(you'll have to have X session forwarding and root logins enabled in
sshd_config).

--
No copies, please.
To reply privately, simply reply; don't remove anything.