Re: General jerkiness/pausing of system..

wells oliver <wells@submute.net> writes:

> My inital thoughts, i.e. random stabs in the dark, are that it's
> something to do with HD access. I have an 80GB Seagate disc partitioned
> into 3, hda1 is /, hda2 is /home, and hda3 is /www. The fstab reads
> like:

I also think it might be a hard disk problem. There are a couple of
things I can recommend from my experience with similar problems.

1) Your hard disk may be overheating. So look into cooling or
   ventilation. This happens suprisingly often on laptops. If you have
   a laptop look into some form of power management, it might help (by
   throttling the disks, etc.).

2) It might be that there is a bad reaction between your kernel and
   your ide bus.

   a) Look into compilling support for your specific chipset into your
   kernel.

   b) Or use the hdparm program to set more conservative settings
   (-X66, or -X33 or even -d 0).

Hope that helps,
Bijan