Re: Viewing a .wmv file

Roberto Sanchez <rcsanchez97@yahoo.es> writes:

> I seem to be having some trouble getting a .wmv file to come correctly.  I am
> using the unstable distribution and have installed xine-ui and libxine1.
> Basically, I need to be able to play this becuase my university offers distance
> classes (some of which I need to take) and they only make them available in
> Windows Media format.  As it stands now, I can open the file with xine and I
> get audio but no picture.
>
> The file that I am testing on is ~200MB and is encoded for 56k, 128k, 384k, and
> 512k bit rates.  Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Install mplayer. It is probably the best movie player. It supports
windows media up to 8 internally and with windows dll files (available
in a tarball) it also support windows media 9. It supports many, many
other formats as well.

You can get the sources from www.mplayerhq.hu

There are also numerous unofficial .deb files floating around the net.

Bijan