Re: Lost my GDM login X-Terminal

Roman Brodylo wrote:
On Sun, 2003-04-27 at 19:16, Donald Spoon wrote:

Roman Brodylo wrote:

Hi there,

with help from this list I managed to get my old pc running as a
graphical X-Terminal, GDM displaying the chooser from sarge/new pc.

Somehow I've lost it - I was tinkering with a new kernel, alsa sound on
the host in the mean time.

I can ping <name of new pc> from the old pc(x-terminal), but if I X -query <name of new pc> I just get a grey screen with the x-pointer.

Once again asking for your help,

Roman Brodylo

It is not clear WHICH computer you were playing around with in the above note. Was the new kernel & alsa sound on the "new" computer that is running the chooser? It sure sounds like XDMCP is not running somewhere....

Yes, the new computer. On "old" im using a minimal woody installation -
it should just start X and let me login to the "new" one.

Sounds like XDMCP on the "new" computer is not working properly. I would focus on the setup on that one. If you can start X on it (get KDE/GNOME to come up), then the problem is probably localized to XDMCP setup in GDM. I would check the following in the /etc/gdm/gdm.conf file:

1.  Make sure XDMCP is enabled..."Enable=true" in the [xdmcp] section.

2. In the "[server-Standard]" make sure to remove the
 Remove the ".., -nolisten tcp" part in the "command=....." line.

You should be able to start up another X-session on the same computer and get a screen similar to what your remote computer used to show. If this works, then XDMCP is working on the "new" computer & something else is wrong. There are a couple of ways to do this, but the one I just recently discovered is the following:

1.  Change to another "page" in the pager.
2.  Open up a terminal session
3.  Type in "Xnest :2 -indirect localhost"

This should bring up your "chooser" screen on that machine and you should be able to login to any account authorized on that machine.

If you have XDMCP enabled on both machines and have a working network connection, it "should" work.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-