Re: header problems

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:44:20 +0200
Christof Hurschler <hurschler@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to compile a DSL modem driver (FritzCard DSL SL) for my
> Woody 2.4.18-k6 kernel and get the following message:
>
> k6:/usr/src/fritz/src.drv# make
> cc -c -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -DNDEBUG -D____ -DTARGET=\"\"  -O2 -Wall
> -I /usr/src/linux/include main.c -o main.o
> In file included from main.c:33:
> /usr/include/linux/module.h:21: linux/modversions.h: No such file or
> directory make: *** [main.o] Error 1
>
> I know this isistupid newbie question, but why is module.h trying to
> read a file that is located somewhere else?

This modem driver needs the kernel headers from your current kernel to
know the kernel-specific stuff, ie to be compatible with it (it's
probably a kernel module?). So you'll need the kernel headers. It seems
you already have a /usr/src/linux/include directory so the make guesses
that it's there that it needs to find these headers. You need to install
the header files for your kernel and override its settings with the
correct kernel headers (check the accompagning readme). if you updated
your kernel yourself it needs to be configured and have run with make
dep I think.

grtz,
Wim