Re: pppd + alsa + debian = ?

Hallo Andrei,

> I've been using Debian for a couple of days and I've got some questions
> related to this Linux distro.

Welcome.

> - Why does pppd keep crashing? I received error=19 message till I used
> 'noauth' and added a line in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and then it connects or
> tries to but no data is sent or received. I've used the same ISP and same
> account on a Slackware box with the same kppp version and everything went
> fine. What am I missing?

How did you set up your pppd?  Did you use pppconfig?  It is an easy
way of configuring your dialup connections.

> - After I installed the X server and desktop environment (KDE, GNOME, After
> Step, Window Maker and Fluxbox) and booted, the graphical mode got started
> up instantly. That's OK, but why do I receive a display error when I try to
> start a KDE app in WindowMaker or FluxBox? When I boot, is it just gdm
> that's started or is it a special runlevel for X like Slackware has?

You can not use gdm, kdm, xdm and wdm simultaneously.  Only one of
them.  From the gdm (or kdm) login screen you can choose which X
environment you want to use this time.

There is no special runlevel for X in Debian.  gdm|kdm|xdm|wdm is
started from /etc/init.d on runlevel 2.

I am not sure what causes the display error you are talking about.

> - There are several applications that I'd like to run as root from the KDE
> or GNOME panel, like XMMS (I have a Windows partition with my CDs as .mp3s
> and for some reason Debian only mounts the partitions, but I can't open the
> folders if I am not root) or KPPP (I recieve a 'Permission denied' or 'Could
> not find kppp' error if I am not root) and automounting CDs and Floppies
> when I click on the CDROM or Floppy icon. How do I do all that? If there are
> others ways than using the root account, I'd be more than happy to know them
> as I do not take the name of root in vain.

For xmms and other sound-related programs you can add yourself to the
group "audio" and then you should be able to use them.  The permission
to mount|umount devices can be set in /etc/fstab. You could also add
yourself to the groups "floppy" and "disk".  Or you can use sudo
with the nopasswd option configured for a trusted user to run programs
which normal users have difficulty to use.

An example of such a program is xcdroast.  If you would start it with
the command "sudo xcdroast" you should be able to run it without the
need to su to root.

Others on the list might have better suggestions but I hope this helps
a little bit.

Regards.
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors
      through him that loved us."    Romans 8:37