Re: Selective upgrades

Daniel L. Miller wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Russell Shaw [mailto:rjshaw@iprimus.com.au] Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 6:26 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Selective upgrades

Daniel L. Miller wrote:

What's the best way to selectively upgrade certain packages?  If, for
example, I want to use the latest X, KDE, or GhostScript from sid, and
I'm currently running Woody - how do I update those packages without
compromising my system?

If by not compromising you mean simply not breaking it, then add testing
and unstable lines to /etc/apt/sources.list, then apt-get update, then
apt-get install <package>/[testing|unstable].

> I assume I need to place those lines AFTER my stable lines?  If I want
> everything else by default to work with Woody/stable?

It doesn't matter what the order is. Here's a post from a couple of days
ago:

To be able to install stuff from testing and unstable, put in /etc/apt/sources.list:

<choose a mirror for your location>
deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian             stable main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian             testing main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian             unstable main contrib non-free

Put in /etc/apt/apt.conf:

APT::Default-Release "stable";     < you could use testing or unstable >
APT::Cache-Limit 10000000;

Now do: apt-get update
to rebuild the package indexes.

If you use Default-Release=stable, then you can do: apt-get install -t testing <package>
If you use Default-Release=testing, then you don't need the -t option. Likewise for
unstable.