Re: Samsung ML-1210 printer - SORTED

[please cc any comment off-list, as not subscribed]

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Rodney D. Myers wrote:

> > > It does require CUPS.
> >
> > OK -- that's good to know.  Any particular reason *why* CUPS is
> > essential?
>
> Samsung recommended it.

Fair enough.

> > (I've had a feeling all along that my problem is more with getting
> > CUPS to work properly -- I've never used it before -- rather than with
> > the hardware.)

 ... and this proved to be the case ...

> For me CUPS was simple, relatively, to setup. Make sure you remove LPR,
> and associated files, then install CUPS.
>
> If I'm not mistaken, the Samsung cdrom set things up rather easily.

Maybe for RH and friends, but not for Debian it doesn't!
(Clue: take the Mandrake install instructions, and rewrite for Debian.
Rename driver samsung.ppd.  Ignore any references to cupsWebAdmin,
qtcups or printtool; just go to http://localhost:631/ instead.)

However, I'm happy to say that I'm now printing very successfully from
Debian [sarge] to a ML-1200 over USB cable -- but that I'm not really
sure how I finally managed it.  (Doing all the right things *didn't*
work -- until I ran the Printer Administration setup from
OpenOffice.org, which automagically unblocked whatever was gumming up
the works.  Oh, and maybe changing from KDE to icewm helped a little,
too.  :)

So thanks to all who bothered to reply and help -- much appreciated.
mwheeler@startext.co.uk                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/