Re: hotplug problems

On Wednesday 23 April 2003 03:55 pm, Richard Otte wrote:
> I tried to install the package hotplug, but got the following message:
>
> Setting up hotplug (0.0.20030117-4) ...
> Starting hotplug subsystem:grep: /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug: No such file
> or directory
> /etc/init.d/hotplug: line 25: /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug: No such file or
> directory
>  usb** can't synthesize root hub events
>

> Sure enough, there is no /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug file.  When I start up
> the machine, I also get a similar message on the screen.
>
> I read the man page, and it says that the file 'normally holds the value
> /sbin/hotplug.'   Should I make a file containing that line, or should I
> get a file someplace else?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks,
>
> Ric
What kernel are you using?  I'm not an expert, but maybe you need a 2.4 series
kernel for USB hotplugging to work?  I also seem to recall that your kernel
must be compiled with hotplug support (CONFIG_HOTPLUG).  See:

http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net/?selected=hotplug

I hope this helps, and please correct me if I am wrong.

Josh Metzler