Re: Selective upgrades

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 09:54:41AM -0700, Daniel L. Miller wrote:

> What's the best way to selectively upgrade certain packages?  If, for
> example, I want to use the latest X, KDE, or GhostScript from sid, and
> I'm currently running Woody - how do I update those packages without
> compromising my system?

Two methods I know of:

1) Check for a 'backport' of the particular package to Woody (this is a
binary .deb compiled against the woody versions of various libraries, etc.)
Check out www.apt-get.org for unofficial .debs, including backports.

2) Compile the sucker yourself.

There may well be other methods, but I'm fairly sure you can *not* simply
install later versions of most packages.  They have a tendency to depend on
later versions of important libraries... which in turn conflict with
woody's versions of those libraries... and much brokenness can ensue.