Re: X11 Server for ms windows

On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 12:26, Hugh Saunders wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 11:59:18AM +0100, Organ Grinder wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > Does anyone know of a X11 Server for ms windows? I've seen some for
> > windows but there all eval... I have to use w2k for my workstation
> > otherwise it would be linux on my desktop and not a problem.
> cygwin has an Xserver, but ive never got it to work... if you have more
> success, tell me how!!

Here's what I do.

I have a complete installation of XFree86, all configured correctly, on
the remote Debian box. It runs GDM which has XDCMP enabled. I'm on a LAN
behind a firewall, so I don't care about security. It accepts all
sessions from anywhere.

On my desktop PC, running Windows, I have Cygwin with XFree86. I open a
Cygwin box, and type "Xwin -query $HOSTNAME" where $HOSTNAME is the name
of the box I'm connecting to.

Lo, a fullscreen window appears with my lovely GDM greeter in it and I
log in and work as normal.

Regards,

Peter.

--