Re: X11 Server for ms windows

From: Organ Grinder <organgrinder@me.wiz-kid.com>
To: Debian <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: X11 Server for ms windows
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:59:18 +0100

Hi All

Does anyone know of a X11 Server for ms windows? I've seen some for windows but there all eval... I have to use w2k for my workstation otherwise it would be linux on my desktop and not a problem.

Many Thanks

	Organ Grinder

I have found that VNC (thanks to suggestions I received on this list) is relatively painless to use. They have a server and a client available for Windows, Linux (x86) and Solaris. I use it on my machine at home (all I had to do was apt-get install vncserver) to get remote access from school (mostly windows terminals). There is also an option where you can export it as a java applet that you can view in any java enabled browser. It is also very easy to compress and tunnel through SSH. The connection also has decent latency. My home computer is connected through ADSL (with a max of 256k upstream) and the only real slowdowns are when the entire screen is redrawn, like changing slides in a presentation or going to a new page in a web browser.

-Roberto Sanchez