Wine: SFX info

I have never been able to get Wine working.  I'd like to run some physiology simulations for my Biology classes, so tried again.  I set up wine two ways---according to instructions in the README.Debian from the distribution, and secondly by letting winesetup do the configuration for me.  The second method seems to find fonts, while the first tripped when it couldn't.

However, both ways, the following message was generated by "FreeExtractor":
                            "Could not read SFX info"

I found next to nothing when searching for SFX/sfx and debian and wine, so perhaps this (and perhaps Free Extractor) business is associated with the .exe files from the site:
    http://www.physiologyeducation.org/materials/simres.html#download

I would appreciate any suggestions.  I guess SFX means "special effects".

Thanks in advance; and thanks for help in previous times,

Alan Davis
Marianas High School,
Saipan
--
adavis@saipan.com                                     1-670-322-6580
    Alan E. Davis,  PMB 30, Box 10006, Saipan, MP 96950-8906, CNMI

I have steadily endeavored to keep my mind free, so as to give up any
hypothesis, however much beloved -- and I cannot resist forming one
on every subject -- as soon as facts are shown to be opposed to it.
                                  -- Charles Darwin (1809-1882)

The right to search for truth implies also a duty; one must not
conceal any part of what one has recognized to be true.
                                  -- Albert Einstein

As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of
ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
                                  -- Benjamin Franklin