Re: apt-get doesn't remove dependencies

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 19:32:48 +1000
Russell Shaw <rjshaw@iprimus.com.au> wrote:

> > I'd like, if apt would remember, which packages are installed only
> > because of such dependencies and remove them automatically when the
> > package that depends on them is removed, i.e. when I remove gcc-3.2,
> > cpp-3.2 should also be removed.  But this is not the case:
> >
> >     # apt-get remove gcc-3.2
> >     Reading Package Lists... Done
> >     Building Dependency Tree... Done
> >     The following packages will be REMOVED:
> >       gcc-3.2
> >     0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0  not
> >     upgraded.
>
> Try: dpkg -Br gcc-3.2

But -B is a de-configure option.  Is this the same as removal?

Also, does it detect whether gcc-3.2 is the only package that needs the
dependency package?  At the time of installation it will be, but it surely
will not necessarily be true at the time of removal, unless *no other*
package can make use of it.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber