Please help CONSOLE

Hi,
I wanted a bit nicer console, so I (dumphead) changed the graphical mode in KControl, eh. Well, but my LCD laptop display is probably not able to make such good console, so when I reboot, display blinks and than I see nothing. I have console login, so X doesn't start automatically. I tried to wait and then blindly login and startx, but it didn't work. I am able to rescue it from Gibraltar or Knoppix, but I don't know where can I change the video mode of the console. Please, it's really urgent, if someone could answer to this promply, I'd be really gratefull
Thanks a lot
Petr