Re: Using chmod to share directories

Am Son, 2003-04-20 um 05.17 schrieb Francisco Castellon:
> Hello list:
>

> I have been reading the documentation on chmod on the manual pages and
> from a few other sources, howver I still have a couple of questions.
>

> Alright, first this is what I want to do, I have a directory that
> belongs to ROOT and I want to make it readable, writable and
> executable to another user however I don’t want to loose the
> permissions that root already has in that directory.
>

> To illustrate, assume that I have a directory called DATA that is
> owned by root, and I have a user called “admin” to whom I want to give
> full access to DATA, however I DO NOT want to “admin” give admin any
> other root like permissions outside of that folder, so that is why I
> don’t want to add the “admin” user to the same group that root belongs
> to (is it called “staff” or “root”?). So I really don’t want to open
> the DATA directory public to ALL users just to the “admin” user. So
> essentially what I want to do is for the owner of the directory to
> give read, write and execute permissions to another user (or group for
> that matter) for that directory.

Add your user "admin" to the group "adm" (man usermod)and set the
permissions on /DATA as follows:

root@mhcln02:/ >chgrp adm DATA		#set group to adm for /DATA
root@mhcln02:/ >chmod g+rwx DATA	#give rwx permissions to adm
root@mhcln02:/ >ll|grep DATA
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     adm            48 Apr 20 08:51 DATA

Now all users in group "adm" can read and write in /DATA. Beware that
"admin" can delete all files owned by root in /DATA but not modify them.

If "admin" should be able to modify existing files in /DATA
do a chgrp -R adm /DATA;chmod -R g+w /DATA

> Second: say I have a user called TEST1 in the group called TEST1 (as
> it is often the case in Unix when you create a user that it creates a
> group with the same name as the user). If user TEST1 is the owner of
> the folder called DIR1 what is the difference of the outcome between
> running:
>

> chmod 740 DIR1
>

> and
>

> chmod 470 DIR1
>

> I realize that one gives full access to the group and read only access
> to the user and the other command does the opposite, but in a case
> that TEST1 is the only user in TEST1 then does it make a difference
> above what I do?

Not really.

>  What I am trying to get at is what is the purpose of trying to
> manipulate the user access or the group access for that matter if you
> cant specify a different user or group other than the owner’s
> DIRECTLY?

Huh? You can change the group of the directory: man chgrp,

HTH
--

Matthias Hentges
Cologne / Germany

[www.hentges.net] -> PGP welcome, HTML tolerated
ICQ: 97 26 97 4   -> No files, no URL's

My OS: Debian Woody: Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice