Re: gcc and alternative

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 10:15:30PM +0100, Shri Shrikumar wrote:
> I was just going to "update-alternatives" my gcc to use gcc-3.2 but
> realised that gcc does not use update-alternatives. Instead it is a
> symlink in /usr/bin.
>
> Can anyone tell me why this is and whether I should file a bug report or
> just modify it on the machine.

It's deliberate, in order to make sure automatic builds use consistent
versions of gcc. The gcc symlink is controlled by the gcc package
(generated from the gcc-defaults source package); you can either rebuild
that locally to point to a different location or divert it away (so that
upgrades won't change it) and move the symlink. See dpkg-divert(8) for
how to add diversions.

Cheers,