Re: telnet connection slower than SSH

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 06:16:26PM +0100, Rus Foster wrote:
| Hi All,
| Got a really weird problem (and this isn't a reverse DNS issue). I've got
| a machine where I've got both telnet and SSH enabled. If a customer
| connects via SSH the latency is fine. However if they connect via telnet
| then its noticably slower. I'm thinking this is due to the way telnetd
| routes packets. I've tried running with -S 16 to give a lower latency but
| didn't seem to work.
|
| Has anyone else seen this?

I don't use telnet, BUT I know that ssh has an option for compression.
If the customer is on a slow link, then the compression may make the
lower bandwidth usage yield better responsiveness.

-D

--
"...Deep Hack Mode--that mysterious and frightening state of
consciousness where Mortal Users fear to tread."

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/