Re: manual installing in Debian

Hi Tran

> I have a program which has no Debian package,
> hence I have to compile myself.
> There are 2 executable file:
> spin (binary file), and xspin (tcl script).
>
> So I "su" and "cp" those 2 to /usr/local/bin
>
> spin is runing well from other users' account.
> but xspin is actually a script file, I could run
> it as a normal user,
> this is the error I got:
> " Error in startup script: couldn't read file "/usr/local/bin/xspin":
> permission denied "
>
> but if I "su" and run it from root then everything is fine.

This looks like you did not set the permissions right.

root@box:~# chown root.root /usr/local/bin/xspin
root@box:~# chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/xspin

This should help you. Was there no "make install" rule in the makefile? These
usually copy everythin in /usr/local and set the permissions correctly.

hth

joerg
--
Gib GATES keine Chance!