Re: netiquette on other lists

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 07:43:21PM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> You don't mention whether or not the lists are officially (or
> implicitly) supported by you, or by the school.  Or what your
> alternatives are.

Well, I maintain the mailman installation.  The lists are hosted by
the university LUG.  But it is only a service towards univesity
members.  Our LUG subcribe the freshman the first year, and if they
want they can go though the other lists for each year.

The only altervative is a (stupid) forum somebody else set up (because
he thinks a forum is easier than a mailinglist)

> I've subscribed to several nontechnical lists in which the clash of
> cultures was too great and I simply left.  Clue migration is always an
> option.  If you can't change the list, try setting up a clueful one,
> often under the guise of a moderated and/or invitation-only list.

When I would try this the list wouldnt reach the most of the
students.  And thus would it mean a fragmentation of information.
Like we now have with that forum a couple of people use.

> It's also useful to enforce rules uniformly and from the start.  And to
> be fair about it.  Gentle reminders are the best policy, as are widely
> established rules (unless the list caters to and embraces eccentricity).
> I've had some particularly bad encounters myself with the list-Nazi at
> LUGoD, Peter Jay Salzman.  The problem being a combination of unusual
> rules, misapplied rules, arbitrary enforcement, censorious intent, and
> ham-handed interventions.  A light touch is best.

You have a point that I should have layed out some general rules in
the beginning, but I didn't do that.  Mostly because the third (now)
year list didn't need this, and I thought they wouldn't too.

<about teaching the others to follow the widely know rules>
> See above and ask yourself if you're being reasonable and appropriate in
> your approach.  It might also help to find if there are others who
> appreciate your efforts.  Most rules of (n)ettiquette are a concensus
> reality, and if the concensus is against you, so be it.

Well the only thing that they could blame me of (I think) is that I
sometimes try to convince some Windows maniac about the power of
GNU/Linux.  But hey, it a mailinglist for computer science students...
And ofcourse that I always say that they should follow the rules.  But
mostly I only do this if I see someone constently breaking the rules.

Hmm, the once called me the "mailinglist police" :)

> Ultimately you either have the right to ban people from a list or not.
> If you don't, then there's the "clue migration factor", being largely
> that the s/n of an unmanaged list falls over time until the high value
> participants cease and move elsewhere.  You end up with noise, shouting,
> cacophony, and spam.

Well I don't want to ban them, or can't ban them.  They know me

I see them boycotting me.  E.g. we have to do project in groups etc.

> Then don't.  If you don't need to provide the service, walk away from
> it, and/or set up an alternative, which you do control, elsewhere.

Thanks for your enlightening view on this.  I think I'll try to look
for another list moderator.  Maybe I'll ask the one who hates me the
most, just to look what will happen to the list.

Rudy Gevaert                rudy@zeus.ugent.be
Web page                    http://www.webworm.org
GNU/Linux user and Savannah hacker http://savannah.gnu.org
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built
the ark; professionals built the Titanic.