Upgrading from source

Dear List,

Anybody got a good way to go from an installed Debian package to a new version compiled from source, while several other packages depend on said package and retaining the integrity of the system using equivs?

In other words, I would want something like temporarily removing a package upon which other packages depend, only to replace it with a dummy package created by equivs, so that those dependencies are met once again. After that, I want to install a new version of the package from source.

Ivo