groupadd requires password?

I have several different debian systems running, some older than others.  On
the two "newest" systems (a mixture of woody, testing and unstable), the
groupadd command seems to require a password before it will "do its thing".
This is different from my older systems where this doesn't seem to be the
case.

I've looked into it high and low and can make much sense of what's different
between the systems that do / don't require a password for the groupadd
command.

The _real_ problem is that, since some postinst scripts _use_ the groupadd
command, the postinst will fail because it doesn't seem to read the input
properly when it's being typed.  For example, I cannot install "cupsys".
Here's what happens:

-------------->8 snip, snip

faramir:~# apt-get install cupsys
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  cupsys
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3  not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/1788kB of archives. After unpacking 5079kB will be used.
(Reading database ... 77256 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking cupsys (from .../cupsys_1.1.14-4.4_i386.deb) ...
Setting up cupsys (1.1.14-4.4) ...
Adding group lpadmin (1001)...
Password: typing-here-echo-is-on

(lots of newlines -- I'm stuck!)

I have to hit CTRL-C to quit here.

dpkg: error processing cupsys (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script killed by signal (Interrupt)
addgroup: `/usr/sbin/groupadd -g 1001 lpadmin' exited from signal 2.
Aborting.
Cleaning up.
 cupsys
faramir:~# Starting CUPSys: cupsd.