Re: host-to-host usb

Scott Henson wrote:

On Mon, 2003-04-14 at 22:32, Petr Simon wrote:
Hi,
I have posted a question concerning usb. No reply. I try again. There must be someone to help :-| I am trying to set up usb connection between desktop (woody) and laptop (morphix based sid). I've compiled kernel and when I plug usb in I get this in my /var/log/syslog:

Apr 15 10:16:54 woody kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:11.3-1, assigned address 4 Apr 15 10:16:54 woody kernel: usb.c: USB device 4 (vend/prod 0x5e3/0x501) is not claimed by any active driver.
Apr 15 10:16:57 woody usb.agent: ... no modules for USB product 5e3/501/383

What does it mean? Do I have bad cable or something. It works great with
win32, so now I have to copy my files to win partition, reboot ....well
Thanks in advance for any kind of help, pointers etc.
Petr
What you want is usbnet.  I dont know if its in your kernel or not, but
to check, type modconf as root.  Then go to kernel/drivers/usb and look
for usbnet.  If its not there then you will have to recompile.

Thanks a lot, both Scott and nate,
I am afraid that maybe the USB Link Cable I am using is not supported. Is there anything else I could do, some page that would give me some info on usb different drivers. I looked at Linux USB, but nothing there. Well, of course I don't know how one writes a driver as well, but if there is some guide, taht wouldn't rcuire me to be a guru, I am hapy to learn some new stuff :-) (silly joke)
Thanks anyway, I will have to get some new cheap cable, probably...
Petr