ALSA plays, but not with sound
A very strange series of events has given me the ability to play a sound
clip, but not to listen to it.
Unfortunately I did so much stuff that I'm not entirely sure what the
right order of operations is...but here we go:
- recompile kernel to change sound from built-in to module
- apt-get install alsa
(dpkg-reconfigure something to make sure the ali5451 driver was
- install modules/drivers from source:
- cd /usr/src
- tar -xfj alsa-driver.tar.bz2
- cd /usr/src/modules/driver
- make install
- comment OUT the following lines from BOTH
/etc/modutils/aliases and /etc/modules.conf (I do not
understand why I have to do this, but if I don't I get
errors re. unresolved symbols when I try to load the
- any line with my card name (ali 5451)
- any line with snd-mixer-oss
- any line with snd-pcm-oss
- load the modules with modprobe:
- check for loaded modules with lsmod:
Module Size Used by Tainted: P
snd-pcm-oss 36036 0
snd-mixer-oss 11032 0 [snd-pcm-oss]
snd-ali5451 10636 0
snd-pcm 53920 0 [snd-pcm-oss snd-ali5451]
snd-page-alloc 4096 0 [snd-pcm]
snd-timer 12680 0 [snd-pcm]
snd-ac97-codec 30944 0 [snd-ali5451]
snd 26404 0 [snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-ali5451 snd-pcm snd-timer snd-ac97-codec]
soundcore 3428 3 (autoclean) [snd]
- aumix: turn on all volumes to "5"
- try playing a sound with xmms:
- libmikmod.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory
- BUT sound will actually appear to be playing -- the only
problem is that I don't actually get a sound coming out
of my laptop...
- mgp321 will also "play" the clip, but won't produce any sound:
emmajane@debian:~/sound$ mpg321 holygral.mp3
High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layer 1, 2, and 3.
Version 0.59q (2002/03/23). Written and copyrights by Joe Drew.
Uses code from various people. See 'README' for more!
THIS SOFTWARE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Playing MPEG stream from holygral.mp3 ...
MPEG 1.0 layer III, 24 kbit/s, 22050 Hz mono
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]