Re: 8 button mouse. (logitech mx 700)

Hi,

this is a bit from the back of my head, as I didn't yet bother
to configure the extra buttons on my new machine:

You can get the two buttons on the left side to work as follows
(the top button never reacts, and the other two are the same as
turning the wheel):

Use ExplorerPS/2 as the protocol.
ZAxisMapping "9 10"
Buttons  "10"

You can also use smaller numbers, for example
Buttons "7"
and
ZAxisMapping "6 7"
but the buttons for the wheel must be at the end.
You can then remap them to 4 and 5 by

xsetpointer "USB Mice" && xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 8 9 10 4 5"

The xsetpointer is only needed if you have several mice,
for example a touchpad and a usb mouse on a laptop,
use the names from the XF86Config.

You can distinguish all the 10 buttons in the event interface,
but I'm not aware of an XFree driver for that.

Jürgen