Re: Cable Internet provider (Adelphia) system policies toward GNU/Linux

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 08:05:00PM +0000, also.cute.and.fluffy@att.net wrote:

> I haven't looked at the IPs I am assigned under Linux to see what
> range they span and if they are in a different range from those (that
> one, which is "stable") assigned under Winblows, but I have read
> elsewhere that my provider assignes from a "pool" of IPs that is
> different from the "WinPool", so to speak, to UNIX systems. This is
> odd. Does anyone know why they do this, and what characteristic of MS
> Winblows they might be keying-in-on, so to speak, that causes a
> "stability" to be achieved for the connection under Winblows, that
> isn't present under non-Winblows (Linux)?

IIRC, a Windows client will send it's host name as part of the request,
and the normal Debian DHCP client does not.  I say this because one of
the firewall systems I set up on an AT&T (now Comcast) cable-modem had
problems leasing an IP address until I configured dhclient to pass their
requested hostname.  However a Windows box with the designated host name
had no problem leasing an IP when directly connected.

You might try monitoring the Windows systems DHCP request or looking for
more information on the information sent in a normal Windows DHCP
request.  Then you can use dhclient.conf to make the request from your
Linux machine appear more like that of the Windows machine.

--
Jamin W. Collins