Re: Howto load scsi emulation modules (2)

Joris Huizer wrote:
Hello everybody,

Thanks you all for the help on this subject I got -
unfortunately the cdrom drive is still not working
properly :-(
When I say :
 mount /cdrom
I get the error message:
 mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

When I do follow the lines of section 2.1 (Quickstart)
of /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/CD-Writing-HOWTO, and I
use the given insmod commands, the mounting does work
(as /dev/scd0 is redefined by the scsi emulation)

The section after that says:  There are several ways
to load the modules next time you start up your
  Linux system:

       (1) Put the relevant insmod command into the
startup sequence
           (a shell script named rc.local or
equivalent).
       (2a) Run kerneld or kmod and
       (2b) configure them in /etc/modules.conf (to be
more precise,
            you configure the utility modprobe, which
is called by the daemons)

"

However - I can't find the rc.local and the kerneld
and kmod don't seem to be there either (apt-cache
doesn't find much of it)

As you recommended, I tried editing on my
configuration files as follows.

In the /etc/modutilis/alias I added these lines:

#start custom addons
       options ide-cd ignore=hdc            # tell the
ide-cd module to ignore hdc
       alias scd0 sr_mod                    # load
sr_mod upon access of scd0
       pre-install ide-scsi modprobe imm    #
uncomment for some ZIP drives only
       pre-install sg     modprobe ide-scsi # load
ide-scsi before sg
       pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi # load
ide-scsi before sr_mod
       pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd # load
ide-cd   before ide-scsi

# end custom addons

And I added the modules to /etc/modules - and set all
the relevant modules next to each other:
scsi_mod
sg
sr_mod
loop
iso9660
ide-scsi

still, the cd won't run unless I do the insmod on the
modules manually ...

During boot time I get error messages like
 failed insmod sr_mod
but I can't include them as I can't find where they
are stored. Can anybody point out to me where I could find these
error messages - they don't show up in
/var/log/kern.log

Can you tell me how I can find out why the modules
aren't loaded during boot time?

Thanks for your help,

Joris