Re: other distros

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 12:13:12 +0000
Matt Price <matt.price@utoronto.ca> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> In an effort to learn a little more about (GNU/)linux I'm thinking of
> installing and playing with a bunch of other distributions, just to se
> what they're like (and whether it's really possible to survive without
> apt-get!).  I've been thinking about the following:
>
> -an rpm-based distro (Mandrake?)
> - do-it-youself source-based distro (linux-from-scratch?)
> -and lately I've been hearing lots about how great gentoo is,
> apparently because of its 'portage' system.
>
> does anybody have suggestions or comments about these or other
> distros?  I don't really understand why gentto is supposed to be so
> fabulous.  I remember people taking it up on the list way back -- any
> enthusiasts out there want to tell me what you love about it?
>
> Looking forward to the flood of opinions,
>
> Matt

heya matt

without wanting to knock the good efforts of the debian guys, my fav distro is slackware, its well worth a try (especially if you have a phobia of point-and-click installs), plus its only 1 cd. its a good distro without confusing init scripts and uses very little - distribution-specific tools

regards

waz