Debian and 2.5 kernels, laptop

Greetings!

I'm struggling to get Linux 2.5.67 to work correctly on a laptop with a
PCMCIA network card.  The 2.4.17-bf2.4 kernel that successfully boots
the system uses the 'tulip_cb' PCMCIA driver.

I've built the new module-init-tools stuff necessary to handle module
kernel also works (it boots, keyboard, sound, etc.), but the PCMCIA
network card doesn't.

I've tried 7 (so far) different kernel configurations, and I'm starting
to think that there's something important I'm missing.  I'm guessing it
has something to do with the new way that the kernel handles modules, or
how 2.5 kernels handle PCMCIA that may be incompatible with Debian's
pcmcia-cs package.

Out of the 7 kernels I've built, all of them boot (except the one where
I had ELF and IDE as modules. . .), but they all hang when the network
card is plugged into the slot.  Removing S13pcmcia from /etc/rc2.d fixes
the boot hang but there's no PCMCIA modules loaded.

If the card is out of the slot, the kernel boots and loads 'ds',
'yenta_socket', and 'pcmcia_core'.  After inserting various network
cards, 'lspci' shows:

    00:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1225 (rev 01)
    00:04.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1225 (rev 01)
    06:00.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3C575 [Magahertz]
        10/100 LAN CardBus (rev 01)
or
    06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip
        21142/43 (rev 41)
or
    06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
        RTL-8139/8139C8139C+ (rev 10)

But no modules get loaded.  If I attempt to load them manually with
'modprobe', some of them load but 'ifconfig' doesn't show an eth0
afterwords, and 'ifconfig eth0 up' fails.

I've got all the tulip, 3Com, and PCMCIA network drivers compiled in as
modules.  The last card won't work because I didn't build the 8139
drivers, but I'm going to try that now (well, in half an hour when the
kernel is built. . .)

Help!  Has anyone figured out the trick to PCMCIA support with Debian
sid and a 2.5.xx kernel of recent vintage (2.5.67 is what I'm trying)?
I've got pcmcia-cs 3.2.2-1.1.

Thanks for listening. . .

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley           email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu
IARC -- Frontier Program          Please use encryption.  GPG key at: