Re: NVidia keyboard problem after console switch

Stephen Birch said:

> Has anyone else seen this problem?

not this particular problem but I'd STRONGLY reccomend NOT switching
out of X. many systems cannot handle this properly(as you've experienced).
I do remember last year I did it a few times on my one and only nvidia
system, it worked the first maybe 3 times then the system puked pretty
hard, X crashed, I logged in from the network to try to restart it, but X
nor the nvidia kernel driver could detect the video card anymore until
I rebooted.

This is not isolated to nvidia, I have had similar problems on a dozen
different systems running a dozen different versions of XFree over the
past 6 years(I don't remember ever attempting it in AcceleratedX so
can't comment whether it is more reliable doing this or not).

some systems work fine..many do not. I don't know enough about
framebuffers and video drivers to understand the specifics, only
to know it's a fairly common thing to have happen. and since Xfree86
is one of the few windowing systems that allows such switching on
the fly(most commercial unix systems don't have virtual consoles
that you can switch to in my experience by default), it's hard to
compare it against anything else out there.

nate